Thursday 30 May 2013


A superb lunch with my family


If you are a seafood lover like I am, this restaurant should be on your list of places to go. As everyone knows, Howth is a great place to go for a fresh fishy meal. It’s even better, when you have your family around on a sunny Sunday afternoon. ‘Deep’ was recommended by a Portuguese work colleague of mine who is also a seafood addict. Coming from a girl that was raised eating bacalhau (dried salted cod) by the beach, I could only believe it was a good choice.

The menu consists of a selection of seasoned fish supplied by the restaurant’s own boat, ‘Sharalisa’. The boat’s captain and fisherman, Brian McHugh, is also one of the chefs. I loved it! The menu also has a variety of venison which would appease any palate.  

My sister and I shared a seafood platter for two, which was like Disneyland on a plate. We didn't know what to try first. Brett, my brother in law, had a pan fried squid which is his favourite. Everything was so delicious and fresh, perfect with a glass of good Sauvignon Blanc.  The staff were also very friendly, especially with my nephew, Otto, who was on and off throwing fries on the floor.  

Although all of the desserts looked delicious, we preferred to have ours in the Farmer’s Market which happens every Sunday by the Port. Not losing any time, Brett went straight to the Turkish stall and had a fresh Blakava, one of the most popular Turkish desserts which is made of a rich pastry filled with chopped nuts, syrup and honey.  At that stage, Otto was already in emergency mode and my sister and I went searching for nappies. We had no dessert in the end but ah well, what a lovely Sunday afternoon!

More detailed information about the restaurant can be found on their website: www.deep.ie.

No comments:

Post a Comment